After a day of gempling in Bangkok, we took a day trip to historic Ayutthaya via Hotels2Thailand. I had considered to get there by public bus, but opted for the day tour instead so we didn’t have to get lost in the searing heat. Since we stayed at Airbnb, we didn’t get the included hotel pickup by the tour. Instead, we took a cheap taxi to the meeting point (Mcdonald outside River City). We were ahead of the schedule, so we got some spicy Thai breakfast at the nearby eateries. After a quick bite we got on the air-conditioned tour bus and commence our tour.
For roughly USD$45 per person below is what we get:
- A visit to the summer palace. To be honest it resembles an average Chinese park and we weren’t very impressed.
- Visit to Ayuthuya. We were given half an hour to wander around the site.
- We got to see the Buddha head lodged between tree roots. In reality the head was smaller than what I had imagined. Nevertheless, it was an interesting sight to behold.4. Temple of the Reclining Buddha (Wat Lokayasutharam)
- We also got to see a couple temples close to Ayutthaya
- Buffet lunch on the way back to Bangkok. The food features a few Thai dishes and desserts. It wasn’t great, but I didn’t go with high expectation either. The cruise was very relaxing and we got to see the outskirt of Bangkok by boat.
- All in all, the tour was a pretty good value and a comfortable way to see Ayutthaya. As expected of any organized group tour, it was more of a quick hop-on, hop-off at each stop. However, we wouldn’t have wanted to stay too long at each stop anyways since it was searing hot. If you have a spare day after visiting the major sites in Bangkok, I highly recommend Ayutthaya.